The Zaxcom Deva 24 is the newest incarnation of the Emmy and Academy Award winning line of Deva mixer / recorders that have set the standard for capturing field audio. It features a touch-screen interface that’s instantly familiar to past Deva users and intuitive for new users.
Deva 24 introduces a completely new recording and mixing system that delivers unsurpassed audio quality and control. Based on its award-winning predecessors, Deva 24 integrates 24 track recording with versatile input/output routing, ZaxNet, NeverClip, PowerRoll and MixAhead with a fast, intuitive touch screen interface.
Deva 24 features 16 analog inputs, 12 are switchable mic or line level, each with adjustable limiter, high pass filter, input delay and 48V phantom power. NeverClip preamps provide 136 dB of dynamic range. Four additional line level inputs can be used as returns.
24 input channels of AES are available, 16 support AES42. With sample rate conversion, each input allows for a different sample-rate. Deva 24 accepts any unlocked AES signal with a sampling-rate of 32 to 192 kHz. The dynamic range of the sample-rate conversion is 124 dB.
10 output busses provide routing flexibility through four XLR, three TA-5M and three 3.5mm connectors. Outputs feature delay settings, level attenuation and assignable output names. 12 direct output channels of AES offers a processor independent feed to a backup recording system.
There are additional connections for timecode, external slate mic and redundant power. USB slots connect Deva 24 to the Mix-16, Oasis and RX-12.
Audio can be recorded to three media simultaneously. An internal 2.5” SSD (1TB max capacity) is the primary media paired with two compact flash (CF) card slots. Files are recorded as MARF II, a lossless fault tolerant recording format to the internal drive and as Broadcast Wave files (BWF) to the CF cards. The CF card slots can record individually or simultaneously in 16 bit or 24 bit formats. An eSATA port provides an external hard drive (SSD or HDD) option that takes the place of a single CF card slot.
12 rotary faders can be assigned to act as a fader, input trim knob or a ZaxNet control knob. Deva 24 has a three band equalizer for each input where low shelf, peaking, and high shelf can be adjusted. The rotary encoder allows you to adjust the compressor settings, input trim and invert the phase of an input.
8 tracks provide an infinite mix of all Deva 24 inputs, while 16 tracks are dedicated to ISO routing. Any of the 16 analog or 24 digital inputs can be assigned to an ISO track as either pre or post fader.
Combining Deva 24 with a Mix-16 or Oasis control surface offers a seamless integration for the sound recordist. Only a single USB cable is needed to link the Mix-16 or Oasis to Deva 24. Simply connect and go.
Deva 24 touts a detachable front panel interface with a touchscreen menu system that’s fast, easy to learn and reliable. Connecting a compatible MAC or PC allows both hardware and software components to be controlled remotely through the Deva 24 GUI by a computer mouse or Deva 24. The remote computer keyboard can be used to enter metadata. A USB cable provides the connection.
ZaxNet, PowerRoll and MixAhead provide advantageous tools for the sound recordist.
ZaxNet provides remote control over Zaxcom Digital Recording Wireless transmitters through a 2.4 Ghz RF signal. Pre-amp gain, frequency, output power and record/playback/stop functions can be adjusted without needing to approach the talent. ZaxNet is supported by an IFB200 connected to Deva 24.
PowerRoll allows ZaxNet controlled transmitters to increase its output power level when Deva 24 goes into record and then decrease its output level when recording stops. This conserves battery power on the transmitters.
MixAhead eliminates errors in human reaction time. Users can select a time up to 250 milliseconds (ms) for audio in the console to be delayed. Adding the extra time allows you to hear the audio first and then have time to react.
- 12 Mic/line-level with NeverClip™ 48V phantom power & 4 line-level (camera return or mix inputs)
- Connectors: 6 x XLR-3F & 5 x TA5 (two inputs per TA5)
- Mic level input range: -56 to -26 dBu
- Line level input range: -20 to +8 dBu
- Distortion: 0.0015%
- ADC bit-depth: 24 bits
- ADC dynamic range: 136 dB
- Clipping level: +28 dBu
- Frequency response: 20 Hz to 22 kHz (48 kHz sampling-rate)
- THD + noise: 0.0015%
- Slate mic input: External balanced / unbalanced with +5V bias
- 4 Balanced XLR, 0dBu, -10dBu and -30dBu
- 3 Balanced TA5 (two outputs per TA5) 0dBu, -10dBu and -30dBu
- Tape/mono output: 2 unbalanced 3.5mm adjustable from -12dBu to 20dBu
- Headphone 1: 1/4 inch and 3.5mm (front panel) stereo bus
- Headphone 2: 3.5mm stereo bus
- Output level: 0 dBu @ -20 dBFS
- Clipping level: +20 dBu
- DAC Bit-depth: 24 Bits
- DAC Dynamic Range: 115dB
- Impedance: 30 ohm
- Digital Inputs: 24 (8 AES/AES42 pair with SRC)
- Connector: DB-25 female
- Bus output channel count: 4 AES pairs (8 channels)
- AES direct out: 6 AES pairs (12 channels with no processing)
- Connector: DB-25 Female
- Track count: 24 (16 ISO tracks + 8 mix or ISO tracks)
- Bit-depth (primary): 24 bits
- Bit-depth (mirror): 24 bits
- Sample rates (kHz): 48, 48.048
- Head room: 12 to 20 dB (NeverClip™ extends analog dynamic range)
- Primary Format: MARF II / .ZAX
- Mirror Format: FAT32 / BWF-P, BWF-M
- Max Pre-record duration: up to 10 seconds
- MixAhead™: .5 seconds max in 10mS steps
- 2 simultaneous mirror media
- Primary Media: 2.5″ SanDisk SSD drive
- Mirror Media: 2 x CF Card slots, eSATA port
- (2 media simultaneous mirror)
- Mixer Type: 32 bit floating point DSP
- Recording track mix bus: 8
- ISO track routing: 16 tracks + 8 when a single source is routed to a mix bus
- Stereo headphone busses: 2
- Busses: 10 (including headphone output x 2)
- Mixer Cross Point: 32 input x 16 output (Pre-fader / Post-fader / Phase Inversion)
- A-D / D-A resolution: 24 bit
- Head room: Selectable 12 to 20 dB
- Output bus delay: 0 to 100mS in 1mS steps
- Delay: 0 to 60 mS in .1mS steps
- 3 Band shelving filter EQ
- Notch filter: 2 band, 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency range adjustable
- Compressor type: Soft knee with side chain
- High Pass Filter: 20 Hz to 230 Hz
- Timecode type: SMPTE
- Connector: BNC x 2
- Input Voltage: 1-4VPP
- Output Voltage: 2VPP
- Clock Accuracy: 1.54 PPM (1 frame out in 6 hours)
- Timecode Frame-rates: 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97NDF, 29.97DF, 30NDF, 30DF
- Type: Dual external with auto switching
- External Power: 8 to 18 VDC @ 1 amp
- Power Connecter: 4-pin Hirose female x 2
- Battery Meter: Yes, on LCD display
- Output power: 4-pin Hirose female (1 amp)
- Size (H x W x D) while looking at screen: 3.0″ x 10.5″ x 7.0″
- Weight: 5.4 Lbs
- Display: 2.8″ full color sunlight readable LCD touch screen
- Slate Mic: Internal / External
- Serial/RS-422: 3 x 4-Pin USB style
- Serial/RS422: 1 DB9 connection
- Serial Port: Zaxcom Proprietary
- Compatible with Mix-16, Oasis